Friday, July 10, 2009

Tasso's Salmon Florentine is King


A friend recently treated me to lunch at a place called Tasso's Old House restaurant here in Gilroy. Not Chuy this time, so I wasn't expecting anything spectacular. Well, what can I say? What an amazing lunch. It all started with lunch selection, which was one of my favorites, though from the culinary revelation that was produced, my guess is Tasso's serves great food all around.

My friend recommended the Salmon Florentine, and being a big fan of Salmon, I followed his advice. I can say without a doubt it was the most delicious Salmon I have ever tried (and I've eaten my share of Salmon). With a creamy, yet lite butter sauce, the flavor was intense and immediate. Yet not at all overpowering the Salmon's natural yummy taste. The touches of spinach sprinkled on top of the salmon were just right. Not too much, not too little. The spinach was an accent, the sauce was the delicious base, and the salmon was the flavorful seared to perfection star.

The prelude of salad was good. A nice vinaigrette over fresh produce. Cracked pepper on top, and my appetite was whetted. Plenty of good fresh baked bread accompanied it. The sides I chose were mashed potatoes and vegetables, and when the main dish came I started with them. Both of them were fantastic. The vegetables were cooked just right, not soggy, but slightly crisp and seasoned well, and the mashed potatoes were not the boring pile of spuds that they are in some restaurants.

Then of course was the salmon, and I don't know now if I ever had really eaten salmon. "What was that fish that I ate? It was good, but this...." Well, it was the best lunch I had had in a long time, and it reminded me that there was a difference between food that is simply cooked, and food that's prepared in a way that it enters the realm of artistry. Art that you can eat. What a concept.

I give it five out of five garlics.

No comments: