Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Tapioca Balls Anyone?


A small building tucked away on first street in Gilroy, is now a place to find relief from the summer heat in the form of unusual ice cold drinks. The place is called "Quickly." I'm not sure where the name originated, or what it's supposed to mean, exactly, other than the menu being full of things that are are meant to be served, uh, quickly I guess. The place specializes in bubble tea drinks; what I used to consider Thai drinks, since I have gotten them before at Thai restaurants. But this place isn't really a restaurant.

Besides the unique drinks, "Quickly" carries finger foods and snacks, and even more substantial food like mongolian beef and those delicious Thai soups. At least, what I think are soups that started in Thailand...( I need to be better informed about this cuisine), but even if they are not, Quickly serves a savory version, and most of the food I've eaten there has been very good. In particular I recommend thier Crispy Popcorn Chicken Bowl, Soya Chicken, and Combination Shrimp and Pork Rice Noodle Soup. Some of the snacks I would leave for those with a major sweet tooth, (hello, deep fried snicker, twinkies, and oreos), I really don't know where these items originated, they seem like Americanized junk food. But to each his own, and thier huge menu of both food and drink has enough to likely please anyone, and, as I mentioned, I'm not that informed about this cuisine.

I do know the internet site that you are first directed to when you log-in and use their free Wi-Fi (another plus of eating there), says that the bubble drinks originated in Taiwan. Wherever the drinks come from, that is what the place specializes in. Me and Chuy have termed the place a "drink joint." They have a lot of drinks, and they're good. I had the Jasmine Milk Tea, with Tapioca pudding balls. It was fantastic, though the balls are not for everyone. The drinks are fruit, tea, and milk based mostly, and you can include a "shot," of various flavored pudding or jello chunks, such as the aforementioned Tapioca balls.

The location in the past has seen businesses come and go, but I hope this one stays. They've remodeled, and the place is kind of charming, I guess, and hey, the have free Internet access! I understand the place is a large chain, so that may also be in their favor for them sticking around. They didn't have menus when I was there, but the huge selection was available painted on the walls. It looks decorative, so that's not bad, but you may feel a little silly walking along the wall and craning your neck to look around people sitting in front of it. For now I give it a three and a half out of five garlics.
(and a half garlic)

No comments: